At school, kids are in close contact with each other constantly. Germs can easily could be spreading at any moment. Because kids have weaker immune systems than those of adults, they are more susceptible to getting sick.
Stop germs in their tracks with these preventative tips:
1. Wash Hands.
- It’s important for hands to be washed thoroughly and often to prevent spreading of germs, especially during flu season. Teach your children how to properly clean their hands and underneath fingernails, and remember to also do it yourself!
- Give your child hand disinfectant to use if they have to touch any items at school or are unable to wash their hands.
2. Keep Mouths Covered.
- Coughs and sneezes should be covered to prevent spreading any sickness. Spreading germs on desks and common areas can quickly make an entire classroom catch a cold.
3. Sharing Isn’t Caring.
- Lice are tiny insects that are extremely contagious. Advise your children not to share any hair accessories or hats to prevent a head lice infestation. Know how to check for head lice and how it can be treated.
- Sharing lunch, pencils, or any other items means increasing chances of transferring germs. Tell your child to avoid close contact with a sick person as much as possible.
4. Eat Healthy and Sleep Well.
- Taking vitamins and getting enough hours of sleep are great ways to improve your child’s immune systems and ward off any germs they may come into contact with this school year.
5. Sanitize, Sanitize, Sanitize.
- Clean the personal items that your child uses the most. These items might be carrying germs into your home. Lunch boxes, water bottles, bags and stationary items are some of the most common items that should be cleaned often.
6. Be Prepared with Vaccinations.
- Because children have immune systems that are still developing, they are more prone to infection. If you’d like to increase your family’s chances of fighting germs by receiving flu and seasonal cold vaccinations, Patient Plus is here to help!
Patient Plus Urgent Care – Get in, Get better.
When you’re sick or injured, whether routine or urgent, quality medical care should be easy to find and available when you need it. That’s the idea behind Patient Plus Urgent Care, with convenient locations in Mid City, Bocage and, now, Southdowns.
Patient Plus treats most common illnesses and injuries — the sniffles, rashes, fevers, aches, breaks and other conditions that deserve prompt treatment, but aren’t serious enough to require a trip to the nearest emergency room. The clinics provide complete diagnostic services, including X-rays, EKGs and flu and strep tests. Other services include physicals, vaccinations and more. Patient Plus clinics are open every day from 9 a.m. to 9 p.m., and patients never need to call first or make an appointment.